Managing your nutrition can often leave you feeling overwhelmed – navigating the aisles in busy supermarkets, trying to understand food labels and preparing healthy meals are all daunting tasks for most. For people with disability or chronic illness, these everyday tasks can be extremely challenging.
Fortunately, the NDIS provides funding for the preparation and delivery of meals for participants who are unable to shop and prepare food for themselves as a direct result of their disability. If your primary carer provides you with the essential supports you need each day but does not have the time or opportunity to shop or cook for you, the NDIS may also fund the preparation and delivery of your meals.
Put simply, if you or your primary carer cannot shop for your food and prepare your meals, you may be eligible for a meal delivery service.
The NDIS aims to give people with disability a choice of what support services they need and how these services are provided to them – you can choose how you spend your funding and whom you spend it with.
To include a specific support in your plan, it must be considered ‘reasonable and necessary’ which means that it must be directly related to your disability and represent value for money.
At your NDIS planning meeting, you will be considered as an individual and your particular situation will be taken into account. It’s your opportunity to choose the support you would like for the 12 months ahead so be prepared!
Before your meeting:
- Think about your goals for your health and for your life as a whole, both in the short-term and the long-term.
- What are your day to day challenges and what would you like assistance with?
- How would you like to manage your plan – by yourself or with a Plan Manager?
- Do you need support to find and organise your service providers?
- If you are concerned about being eligible for funding for any particular health supports you would like to include in your plan, take any documentation with you that will help you to present your case
- If you already have a service provider, ask them for a letter of recommendation to support your case
At the meeting:
- Talk about your lifestyle and health goals. Explain how NDIS funding would help you to achieve these goals
- Present supporting documentation that you have arranged prior to this meeting
The NDIS funds the preparation and delivery of meals under Core Supports: Assistance with Daily Living – Preparation and Delivery of Meals.
At Kinela, we offer access to trained dietitians and healthy, home-style meal delivery as part of your NDIS plan.
If you live with disability or a chronic disease and are unable to shop for ingredients and prepare healthy meals, we can take care of your nutritional health and empower you to live a happy, healthy and dignified life.
Together with our team of nutritionists, our dietitians create custom meal plans based on your preferences, goals and dietary requirements. Once we have designed a meal plan just for you, we deliver delicious, nutritious meals and snacks directly to your door. You can order your meals through the flexibility of weekly orders or the convenience of a four-week meal plan.
Together, we track your progress and support you every step of the way in your journey to better health.
Book your consultation
If you would like to find out more about NDIS funding for our meal delivery service and other health support services, call us on 1800 572 096 or fill out the form below to book your first consultation with our friendly team.